- When you bring the tree home, make a fresh cut one-quarter inch or more above the original cut until you reach fresh wood. This removes the sap seal, allowing your tree to absorb water.
- Immediately place the tree in a water-holding tree stand. Trees are very thirsty, so make sure to keep it watered. A Christmas tree may drink one gallon or more of fresh water per day for the first few days, then decrease their intake.
- Check the water supply daily and replenish as needed.
- If storing your Christmas tree outside before decorating, remember to keep it in water and protect it from wind and sun.
- In the house, place the tree away from fireplaces and other heat sources.
- Carefully check all electric light and connections before decorating the tree and home. Do not use lights with worn or frayed cords and NEVER use lighted candles.
- Be sure to turn off all decorations before retiring at night and at any time you leave your home.
At the end of the holiday season, be sure to recycle your Christmas tree. Go to http://austintexas.gov/department/recycle-your-christmas-tree-local-resource for more information.