Nothing takes the fun out of the outdoors like a bunch of bloodthirsty mosquitoes. In addition to inflicting a painful bite, mosquitoes can transmit diseases. You can keep your local mosquito population under control by limiting their habitat on your property, here are some helpful tips.
Natural ways to repel Mosquitoes:
- Citronella candles: one of the oldest tricks in the book, and very effective. Burning citronella is one of the best ways to keep the bugs at bay.
- Lavender Oil: applied directly to the skin or to fabric this is a scent that humans love but mosquitoes hate
- Rosemary on the barbecue: throwing a sprig of rosemary (or sage) on the barbecue will keep you bit free while you grill for your family
- Use Fans: According to entomologists, mosquitoes aren’t active when wind gusts exceed 10 miles per hour. Create your own windstorm with a rotating fan, which, set on “high,” should provide enough of a gust to keep bugs away. Plus, fans help dissipate the carbon dioxide you exhale, and reduce body heat, both of which have been found to attract mosquitoes.
- Mow your yard on a weekly basis: Clip tall weeds in areas around the lawn. Mosquitoes like to hide in these areas. Remove the clippings after you have mowed. They continue to host insects after they fall to the ground.
- Identify problem areas in your yard that collect standing water: Siphon off water that has gathered every few days. Tree stumps are a mosquito breeding area that people often ignore. Fill the tree stumps to avoid water accumulation.
Mosquito Repellent Plants:
Another great way to reduce the mosquito population in your yard is to fill it with beautiful plants that keep these biting bugs away! The list below offers options for greenery and flowers that are repellent for these pests:
- Lemon Balm
Treatments For Your Yard:
- Fogging and sprays: There are many treatments available to cut back on these pests. Your local hardware store will have a variety of options you can spray in your yard yourself, but if you aren’t up to it, professionals in the area are ready to come in and treat your yard for you.
- Misting system : if you are serious about keeping the bugs away permanently you may consider a misting system. These are set up by professionals and offer regular protection from mosquitoes.
- Companies that offer these services: